Remember the Baltimore blogger, James MacArthur, who took to social media to live broadcast his standoff with police? The man’s family now says he is still in central booking and being denied bail and visitors, many believe as retaliation for his live broadcast.
When police came to MacArthur’s home to execute a warrant for his arrest, MacArthur took to social media to broadcast the event. According to MacArthur, he was “surrounded by a bunch of men with guns” and told officers “this is the craziest thing I ever experienced in my life.”
Police said they had a warrant for 47-year-old MacArthur which had been issued in June for a probation violation stemming from a 2009 gun case. MacArthur missed his court date and police arrived at his home around 6 p.m. Saturday to take him in, according to officer Lt. Col. Garnell Green.
MacArthur posted updates on The Baltimore Spectator website, and remained in his basement until he was assured that he would not be harmed and would be treated fairly.
Now MacArthur’s sister has contacted the Voice of Baltimore, to express concern for her brother’s condition:
In an email to Voice of Baltimore, his sister, who is a legislative analyst for the Montgomery County Council, expressed concern that “no one has been able to see him yet, not even Jill Carter,” his attorney.
Last week, Carter — a member of the Maryland House of Delegates, representing the state’s 41st Legislative District — filed a petition for a writ of habeas corpus after MacArthur was denied bail, despite having never been charged with a violent offense.
“Even accused murderers get out on bail,” noted one courthouse observer. MacArthur won’t have another hearing until January.
Before he was arrested, MacArthur kept Baltimore’s SWAT team at bay for 5 hours, and family and friends believe the police are exacting revenge for that embarrassment.